Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Dad's Longboard

My dad has been skating for about .6 seconds, about the time it took him 2 fall on his ass and call it at that. Although my dad does not own a longboard, nor skate in anyway shape or form, I have just realized how much he thinks it is a beautiful thing like all skaters. At a dinner Wednesday night where a bunch of local skaters gathered around to talk about the NYC Longboarding Racing scene, we were all going around the table introducing our self's. I whispered into my dads ear saying "your passing" now obviously he has to comeback saying "well my son says im going to pass so im just going to follow his lead", everyone at the table stopped him and said "no no no, speak we want to hear your perspective". At the time this sounded like the worst idea ever, but im glad it happened. He continued to speak on how my Longboarding has effected him in a way he never thought it would. Because Longboarding makes me happy, it makes him happy, and while he was pissed that I went ahead and did the warriors race when I wasn't supposed to, somewhere deep down he was happy I did. He was happy because I loved it so much that I went ahead and did it. Even though im grounded for a month, I still Love him for what he said.

A day after, I get notification after notification on facebook on how my dad's "speech" was so moving and useful in the Longboarding community.


DAD YOU HAVE FANS WHO WOULDA THOUGHT!?!?!?

no just kidding, love you

4 comments:

  1. your dad is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may share my thoughts with a broader audience, I want to thank the longboarders at the Weds night get-together for inviting Eli and me. It was a humbling experience and, based on the crew that I met there (and previously), I believe even more than I already did that this is a community grounded in, and full of, honor and respect. It is for those reasons that Eli's Mom and I have supported his hanging at Bustin and with the skaters in the longboarding community. The fact that he is passionate about it (and a beautiful skater, to boot) does, indeed, make us very happy.

    I believe that all parents struggle with achieving the right balance of protecting their children, providing sound guidance and cultivating the tools they will need to navigate the world and, ultimately, allowing them increasing freedom. Leaving aside my experience as a non-skater and pedestrian (or "silly bi-peds", as Sol calls us), I have always been anxious about skaters in the street - not so much for their talent or ability to control what they do, but for what they CANNOT control - the "reality" of the street: I need not enumerate the dangers. I love my son more than anything in the world, and will do anything for him, but I also know I cannot (nor should not) be with him at every step. I can only trust that we have given him the tools to be smart about the challenges he faces and that he will choose his path wisely.

    As to the Warriors race, I said that I can respect that Eli felt so strongly that he just had to do it; I was not happy - even deep down, but I could respect his conviction. The fact that he skated at night, even if he had a light/ reflective clothing (which he did not) - which he knows he is not to do - was deeply troubling; the fact that he lied about it is inexcusable. Although we trust Eli and give him a great deal of leeway, he is still young: this is not disrespectful, it is a fact. It takes many years to develop sound judgement (sometimes even well into "adulthood") and we hope that, as situations evolve, all of our children will have the strong moral compass and inner strength to make good decisions. It's OK to make mistakes - even desirable sometimes, as one can learn a great deal - but one's whole life and that of those around them can change in an instant when things go wrong, especially in dangerous circumstances. The world is an imperfect place, but we can seek always to stay on a true course.

    As I said at the meeting, my primary concern is safety - for ALL of the skaters. I would be distraught if anything happened to Eli, or any of you, and pray you are never seriously hurt. Whether you see it or not you have a responsibility to each other and to those in your community, especially the younger skaters. They are the future, and it it's a wonderful and important thing to cultivate the new generation; you need not babysit or discipline them (which, I believe, would run counter to the freedom of push culture that you, and they, seek), but I would hope you will always lead by good example.

    In closing, thanks again for all of the positive response, for looking to the future and stepping up to take responsibility for your growing community, and for your mature honesty. I hope I have an opportunity to see all of you again, and wish you well. BE SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Central Park LongBoarderMarch 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM

    "Freedom Passion Protection"
    Don Williams

    I could not have crystallized
    it more profoundly. Thank you Mr. Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cubi, for your kind words; might I suggest:
    Freedom
    Passion
    Safety
    Respect

    ReplyDelete